Sunday, February 24, 2013

Review: The FACE Shop - Chia Seed Collection

Chia Seed Water 100 Series


Recently my friend, Charlene, found this new Chia Seed collection in a beauty boutique in northern K-town. She first bought the Chia Seed Toner, and then also decided to try out the Eye essence. Then a few weeks later we found that The Face Shop had a store in Pacific Mall as well. Since I was running low on moisturizer, I decided to indulge in the Watery Lotion myself.

Here I will slightly review three products from this line.




In the order of skincare steps, first the Chia Seed Watery Toner:


Quite like the name, the toner runs smoothly like water, and has a nice light smell to it. I can't pinpoint what the scent is exactly, but it is fairly light, and smells good! Also, I believe this is the moisturizing type of toner so you can just pat it into the skin rather than apply using cotton pads (which is what Charlene said she was doing). But I prefer using cotton pads anyway since it removes dust and cleanser residue. I'm too used to my Laneige.

I received the sample version of this toner when I bought the lotion from the shop, but Charlene has the full bottle.

The toner sample size in contrast to the size of the regular bottle (the full size in the picture is my lotion, not the toner)

This toner feels nice, and the scent is nice, but I didn't see that much change in my skin's hydration. After trying the sample about three times now, I think I still prefer my stronger, more alcohol-based Laneige Pore Refining Toner. Simply because my skin does need refining every few days... especially when I have random pop ups or budding ones. The Laneige one just wipes it right off. This one is milder so it just focuses on the hydration, I guess. I just prefer to put the moisture focus on my lotions and moisturizers rather than my cleanser and toners.

 Chia Seed Watery Lotion



This lotion is quite nice. It's light, it soaks into the skin well, it soaks in fairly fast, and no stickiness! Usually I order my skincare online after reading reviews and doing research. But sometimes - just sometimes - I find something in person (okay, maybe not sometimes, rarely) and I end up buying it. Sure, my decision to purchase it was partially because my Shills Moisturizing Gel Cream was already halfway finished. But also because of Charlene's influence. =_=. She and Charisse were both raving about Chia this, and Chia that, so much that I decided to look at it too. =_=. But it's fine, it turned out well anyway.


The lotion is of a light consistency, which allows it to be soaked in fast. Also, it's easy to blend into the skin, and doesn't feel oily or greasy after it's soaked in. It has a slight guava-like scent to it though. I have no idea what chia seeds taste or smell like, but if they smell like guava then sure. But it's a nice smell nonetheless.

Skin just looks moist and supple

The moisture level is light-medium, I would say. My skin is dry-combination, but since it is winter now, my cheeks tend to get a bit flaky. I find that this lotion is fine if I'm only doing skincare; but if I were to wear foundation on top, I would definitely wear two layers or use an additional product for moisturizing... just because I know how my skin reacts to my BB cream / powder. But if not for makeup, the moisture level stays good for a few hours for sure. My cheek areas don't become oily after a few hours like they do for other thicker moisturizers I've tried, which leads me to assume that this lotion is doing a good job not overdoing it!



Chia Seed Watery Eye & Spot Essence


This product belongs to Charlene, as do the opinions/review.
She bought this essence for her under eye area since she tends to lack sleep often. Apparently it is very soothing, and has a cool gel texture. The texture is very light. Right after she put some on her finger the gel turned watery. I suppose it's in accordance to the "watery" theme this line is having, huh. Application is smooth as well.

According to the salesgirl at the shop, this essence is supposed to be good for:
  • scar reduction,  
  • under eye bags
  • and other problem areas on the face.
So it's not just an eye essence, it's a spot treatment essence of a sort. She was also told that it takes approximately two weeks to see results.



Overall, I think this line of skincare is nice. I haven't tried the essence myself; I don't use eye creams or essence as part of my own skincare regime anyway. But it still does appeal to me a bit. What I like about this line is that everything is light. The scents, texture, look of it, consistency, and I suppose in a way the results too.

I am curious about the cream in this series, but not enough to go buy it. The items were in about the same range as my Laneige usuals, but still. Cream is always the most expensive and looks most ridiculous to me. The FACE Shop does have a Mango-themed collection in store right now too, which looks to me like a sister series to the Chia Seed one. Charlene, being a mango-anything addict, bought the lotion from that series rather than continue with this one. But I prefer this line more. :)


xx

7 comments:

  1. Hi, nice review! I've been meaning to buy the Chia line as well since the employee in Pmall was pushing me to buy it. I instead got the E'thyme lotion and found it really good as well but I was just wondering how much the Chia lotion and toner costs because the cream (gel looking one) that was being offered to me was a whopping $30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ^^. I actually got a E'thyme lotion sample, and I like it too! It's quite nice. I think the lotion was nearing $21-24 and the toner also? I'm not surprised the cream is closer to $30 though. I think the cream always costs more because it's thicker in density and does more, but I don't go for cream anymore. Just the emulsion/lotion step is enough, I think. I should have noted the prices down but I actually forgot how much they were since it was a while back.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply :) I'm a bit late with replying myself sorry. Awesome you got the sample for the E'thyme lotion? I love it, and I was contemplating whether to go with the Chia one next time but I don't see the point of spending more money for a product that I don't know I would like as much as the E'thyme one. Err..they need to give out more samples. I actually found that the lady at the shop was even hesitant in giving me samples. They were even talking in Korean trying and the lady was saying that she didn't want to give me the samples (They didn't know I picked up a few korean from all the dramas I watch xD). Anyways I'm getting side tracked, yeah I think the lotion and toner combo is actually a pretty good routine for me, since I'm still a college student. Maybe when I work, I'll be able to afford the whole line like you lol. I'll be checking out more from your blog by the way :) Hope you don't mind another follower.

      Delete
    3. The other day I went to The Face Shop store at Pmall and they had new series. The employee was promoting the new line more and when I asked about the E'thyme one she called it "okay" loll. But still, I tried it myself too so I know it's quite okay as well. They usually give you samples based on how many items you buy/money spent LOL. I like getting their facial cotton samples haha XD I don't usually like trying samples because it's like a win/lose situation (you either like it and don't have any more, or you get one that you don't like -_-) so the cotton pads are a win/win for me.
      I'm a post-secondary student too here! LOL I just spend my money on these things -__-. Plus, not all of those products were mine! The eye cream and toner was my close friend's :)
      And I haven't been updating, but thanks for following/reading! @^__^@

      Delete
  2. What's their new series called? I swear they have a new one every month lol. Ah, I spent close to $75 though, I guess they don't consider it as a big spend? I've only tried the North American moisturizers before so I can't really compare it with the others but I was told Koreans really know their cosmetics so I'll take it that there are other better ones out there. I had no idea you were a student as well xD Well it's a benefit you spend on these things your face at least gets pampered ^O^

    I just read you applied as a transfer to Korea? Wow good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember but I got some from the Blemish Zero series.
      You should have been given choice samples with a $75 purchase! I've never bothered to speak up about choose my samples but maybe they just have a set chart about their distribution. =/
      And yes I did! Exchange student :P thanks ^^

      Delete
  3. Nice review! Love the detail you put into the review and you have pretty pictures! The watery lotion sounds good! Like your blog- had fun reading your posts! =D

    http://beauteebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...